Sonic Dimension

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chaotix hacking.
harmaa
post Jun 19 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #21

Your Flower Power is no match for my Glower Power!

Group Icon

Group: Nightmaren
Member No.: 601

I love you, drx. ;________;

--------------------

"Soon, I will be in court, pointing to the crotch of a Tails plushie, showing the judge where Yuji Naka hurt me." - The irreplacable Hemlock_Martini
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yuski the Dog
post Jun 19 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #22

Lovely Sonic Mangá art... =P

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 473

Pretty coll, drx! =) Keep up the good work! *waiting info about character sprite editing* It is strange, but the sprites are in RAW format (or something like that. =p), I remember to saw Mighty´s sprites (I bit screwed) in a DOS program called "NANA". It was long time ago (about 3 years. O_O), but I guess it could help. ;p

--------------------
user posted image

Sonic the Hedgehog : Gaiden // ROM Hack
http://rhw.emucamp.com/gaiden/

Portal Sonic // Brazilian Sonic Community
http://www.portalsonic.com

Felipe Marcantonio // My DeviantArt gallery
http://yuski.deviantart.com/

+Quote Post
Elbot Wolfcat
post Jun 20 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #23

My true form is REVEALED!

Group Icon

Member No.: 195

This outta be cool. I can't wait to see Sonic in Chaotix.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Oshtoby
post Jun 20 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #24

Dance, Metal, DANCE!

Group Icon

Member No.: 11

Just to push "Sonic in Chaotix" along a little...
IPB Image
I revamped the sprites to be almost 32X Quality. Have a fun time.

EDIT: BTW, This is a work in progress. Come back to this SAME EXACT post to see updates.

EDIT: June 22, 2004 at 2:10 AM- Lookin' good!

This post has been edited by Oshtoby: Jun 22 2004, 12:24 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
I am anti-CATxRABBIT

+Quote Post
Raiser
post Jun 20 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #25

same old avatar...

Group Icon

Member No.: 407

QUOTE(Kojichao @ Jun 19 2004, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE(drx @ Jun 19 2004, 02:31 AM)
Koji: Why not Sonic Chaotix? =P I'll try to find those palettes. I hope they're not compressed or something.

Oh, the characters have MARS format palettes. I've alreacy changed Mighty's palette to Sonic's. I just need to edit the graphics.

Where's my screenshot....

*Makes a new one*

IPB Image

:) All that is needed to be done, is edit the graphics, really.... And modify Might/Sonic's palette a small bit...

That's looking rather good, but what are you going to do about the problem regarding Mighty's palette, in which changing it affects other objects that use it?

Did you alter a different (possibly unused) palette and assign Mighty's sprites to it, or are you just going to live with blue speed shoes?

+Quote Post
Kojichao
post Jun 20 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #26

Disconnected...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member DX
Member No.: 355

QUOTE(Raiser @ Jun 20 2004, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE(Kojichao @ Jun 19 2004, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE(drx @ Jun 19 2004, 02:31 AM)
Koji: Why not Sonic Chaotix? =P I'll try to find those palettes. I hope they're not compressed or something.

Oh, the characters have MARS format palettes. I've alreacy changed Mighty's palette to Sonic's. I just need to edit the graphics.

Where's my screenshot....

*Makes a new one*

:) All that is needed to be done, is edit the graphics, really.... And modify Might/Sonic's palette a small bit...

That's looking rather good, but what are you going to do about the problem regarding Mighty's palette, in which changing it affects other objects that use it?

Did you alter a different (possibly unused) palette and assign Mighty's sprites to it, or are you just going to live with blue speed shoes?

Well ahead of you on that one. ;) Hehe, Wechnnia is blue,now, instead of red.

I have to find the colors that are used from Mighty's palette, the ones for the shoes, and modify them a bit. (In otherwords, remap Mighty's palette, to fit Sonic, and the shoes). I'm sure if I throw in the Crackers palette, to a degree, I can modify the other graphics, too. I just need to be able to change graphics, then I can actually modify things goodly.

Yeah.

Oh, and... Oshtoby, I already started that a few years ago. :)

Nice start, though! Here's some of mine (The ones used for the Sonic Chaotix hoaxes)

IPB Image

--------------------

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
(I also do commissions now! Click here for more information!)

StHJJ1SEGA+++Son->++Egg+Shd+++iCrm++"Mra++iCha+++!P$++++GFCoca

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 21 2004, 07:01 AM
Post #27

whoa... i'm drunkz0r... o_O...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 460

Great work, Koji ;). I'm going to realease a public version of my utility (Sonic Tweaker) with some chaotix palettes. I'll also try to implement the MARS palette editor... After palettes, I'll work on sprite editing.

This post has been edited by drx: Jun 21 2004, 07:02 AM

--------------------

Hacking CulT

Go there now or I'll cut your dick off.
emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

aim: drx1337

+Quote Post
Sintendo
post Jun 21 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,047

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 21 2004, 01:01 PM)
Great work, Koji ;). I'm going to realease a public version of my utility (Sonic Tweaker) with some chaotix palettes. I'll also try to implement the MARS palette editor... After palettes, I'll work on sprite editing.

Did you had to start Sonic Tweaker all over or did you find the back-up back?

This post has been edited by Sintendo: Jun 24 2004, 03:50 AM

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 21 2004, 10:56 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

I found a very, very old backup on Shadowsoft =/ It has a lot of bugs, and I'm currently fixing them. Well, I finished the palette editor (Genesis and MARS format!). Which option is better: release it when I add more palettes, or release it now and add those palettes later?

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

+Quote Post
Oshtoby
post Jun 21 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #30

Dance, Metal, DANCE!

Group Icon

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 21 2004, 12:56 PM)
I found a very, very old backup on Shadowsoft =/ It has a lot of bugs, and I'm currently fixing them. Well, I finished the palette editor (Genesis and MARS format!). Which option is better: release it when I add more palettes, or release it now and add those palettes later?

If it has Mighty's pallet in it, release it now, please! I have plans...

--------------------
IPB Image
I am anti-CATxRABBIT

+Quote Post
Raiser
post Jun 21 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #31

same old avatar...

Group Icon

Member No.: 407

This is going to sound slightly n00bish, and I should know better, but what's the possibility of putting Tails in there as well? I think it would be pretty cool to be able to play as Sonic and Tails ala Crackers, but without the bugs. In order to make him fly, you could replace Charmy.

The only problem is Charmy's size. If Charmy's sprite is allotted the same amount of tiles that the others are, and therefore has blank ones surrounding him, it could work. However, if he's only alotted the tiles that he requires, (which is more likely), then it probobly couldn't be done very easily.

I guess we won't find out until the sprites are successfully decompressed, but it's just a thought.

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 21 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

http://forums.sonic-cult.org/index.php?act...&f=17&t=1237370 - Chaotix palette editor ;)

Raiser: character size doesn't count, because you can change the mappings so it can be much larger. It's not a big problem, but I have yet to find the format. And yes, we have to crack the compression used for sprites.

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Jun 21 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #33

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

It is unlikely that the sprites in Chaotix have anything all that similar to mappings like in the other Sonic games. The mappings exist primarily to deal with the sprite size limitations of the Genesis hardware. Since all the sprites are done in software in Chaotix, this isn't an issue.

--------------------
Do region conversions, dump cartridges, write Sega CD software. All this and more at http://www.retrodev.com/

Currently messing around with Mac OS X Cocoa development on my resurrected B&W G3.

+Quote Post
Oshtoby
post Jun 21 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #34

Dance, Metal, DANCE!

Group Icon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Nemesis saying he cracked the Chaotix Art format a while ago. He just never released a Compressor\Decompressor.

EDIT: Also, I have a question... Can we, with the dissassembly, import pallets? I know it seems like a longshot... but still...

This post has been edited by Oshtoby: Jun 21 2004, 11:22 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
I am anti-CATxRABBIT

+Quote Post
Deus
post Jun 21 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #35

omg Jaw Rule the RapTOR! omg *shot*

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,505

*dreams of the day when they can effectively add characters in, without replacing others*

All the same characters + Sonic and Tails. ^.^ But you don't need to tell me, I'm well aware that can't work, hehe

Great job btw.

+Quote Post
Elbot Wolfcat
post Jun 21 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(Deus @ Jun 21 2004, 07:43 PM)
*dreams of the day when they can effectively add characters in, without replacing others*

All the same characters + Sonic and Tails.  ^.^  But you don't need to tell me, I'm well aware that can't work, hehe

Great job btw.

Hmm... Isn't it theorectically possible to make Wechidna accessable like the other charcters, then edit his pallete, sprites, and coding to make him into Tails?
I honestly have no clue what I'm talking about...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kojichao
post Jun 22 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #37

Disconnected...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member DX
Member No.: 355

QUOTE(Elbot the Wolfcat @ Jun 21 2004, 09:03 PM)

All the same characters + Sonic and Tails.  ^.^  But you don't need to tell me, I'm well aware that can't work, hehe

Great job btw.

Hmm... Isn't it theorectically possible to make Wechidna accessable like the other charcters, then edit his pallete, sprites, and coding to make him into Tails?

It's not possible.

Wechnia is not a character, but a glitch of a removed one. Because the original pointers are long since... warped, because of the addition of other characters, the game is making a flailing attempt at trying to fill in the gaps, where the original character was. And, i nthe process, pulling out random sprites, colors and moves.... (This makes me believe that the original first slot USED to be Sonic, Ala Sonic Crackers. But was swapped with second slot, lateron, where Mighty is now, and Tails' glitched remains are there, but still trying to pull of 'Sonic's old moves.)

Most of the sprites revolve around Knuckles' sprites, and Mighty's Palette. (And Mighty's moves, I believe.... I can't remember at the moment.)

So, the only way to use Wechnia's spot, is to effectively rewrite that blank character slot, with a real characters. Not sure how difficult nor easy that would be, however, considering 'Work' on 32x Games is very limited in terms of hacking...

We're just now starting to crack the surface..

and, that 32x 'graphics decompressor' isn't that. It's just a Genesis one. Some of the graphics in Knuckles Chaotix use Genesis format graphics AND palettes. That's why you can find the Genny Palettes. There are still Genny graphics using them.

Which makes me lead to believe, that Knuckles Chaotix had advanced a lot further from Sonic Crackers, in terms of development, to the point where they had Amy, and a lot of other sprites + Palettes ready for the game. When MARS was released, they decided to rework it, for use with a slightly different engine, sprite resizing, among other things, and more vibrant palette capabilities.

*shrugs*

This post has been edited by Kojichao: Jun 22 2004, 01:27 AM

--------------------

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
(I also do commissions now! Click here for more information!)

StHJJ1SEGA+++Son->++Egg+Shd+++iCrm++"Mra++iCha+++!P$++++GFCoca

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 22 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #38

Group Icon

Osthoby: If you mean Genesis>Mars, it's easy. There's a subroutine that converts Genesis palettes to the Mars ones.

Hmm, I don't think character sprites are compressed, you know. I think they just don't use the Genesis format, like Koji suggested. I'll try to dump the 32x 'VRAM' and search for it in ROM or try to tweak in savestates or something =P

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
Oshtoby
post Jun 22 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #39

Dance, Metal, DANCE!

Group Icon

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 22 2004, 05:23 AM)
Osthoby: If you mean Genesis>Mars, it's easy. There's a subroutine that converts Genesis palettes to the Mars ones.

Hmm, I don't think character sprites are compressed, you know. I think they just don't use the Genesis format, like Koji suggested. I'll try to dump the 32x 'VRAM' and search for it in ROM or try to tweak in savestates or something =P

Well, I don't really understand that, I just mean if we're trying to add something, say, a new character, can we just add a pallet for him\her, instead of messing around with another one? I know this can't be done through hacking, but through a disassembly...?

--------------------
IPB Image
I am anti-CATxRABBIT

+Quote Post
Elbot Wolfcat
post Jun 22 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kojichao @ Jun 21 2004, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE(Elbot the Wolfcat @ Jun 21 2004, 09:03 PM)

Great job btw.

It's not possible.

Wechnia is not a character, but a glitch of a removed one. Because the original pointers are long since... warped, because of the addition of other characters, the game is making a flailing attempt at trying to fill in the gaps, where the original character was. And, i nthe process, pulling out random sprites, colors and moves.... (This makes me believe that the original first slot USED to be Sonic, Ala Sonic Crackers. But was swapped with second slot, lateron, where Mighty is now, and Tails' glitched remains are there, but still trying to pull of 'Sonic's old moves.)

Most of the sprites revolve around Knuckles' sprites, and Mighty's Palette. (And Mighty's moves, I believe.... I can't remember at the moment.)

So, the only way to use Wechnia's spot, is to effectively rewrite that blank character slot, with a real characters. Not sure how difficult nor easy that would be, however, considering 'Work' on 32x Games is very limited in terms of hacking...

We're just now starting to crack the surface..

and, that 32x 'graphics decompressor' isn't that. It's just a Genesis one. Some of the graphics in Knuckles Chaotix use Genesis format graphics AND palettes. That's why you can find the Genny Palettes. There are still Genny graphics using them.

Which makes me lead to believe, that Knuckles Chaotix had advanced a lot further from Sonic Crackers, in terms of development, to the point where they had Amy, and a lot of other sprites + Palettes ready for the game. When MARS was released, they decided to rework it, for use with a slightly different engine, sprite resizing, among other things, and more vibrant palette capabilities.

*shrugs*

Eep. Forget I suggested that, then. I basically know nothing about hacking.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 02:12 AM