> Chaotix hacking.
drx
post Jun 17 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #1

whoa... i'm drunkz0r... o_O...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 460

Yeah, it's not a typo. I'm doing a chaotix disassembly. Even more funny, it's a 68k disassembly, not sh2 one! The code is written in 68000 suprisingly. (I disassembled first $4000 so far =P). The biggest problem is that all JMP, JSR, LEA etc stuff is + $880000. I mean, all offsets are with $88 added on the beginning (leet 32x). So I need something that would automatically run through disassembly and change all $88xxxx to $880000+loc_xxxx or something.

Well, I recognized only one subroutine, because the whole code is a mess for me (funny, isn't it? a complicated assembly code XD). It's the Genesis Palettes to 32x Palettes convertor. Very nice function. I'll change it a bit and use it in my prog btw.

So, all the palettes I've seen so far are in Genesis palette format (0x0RGB). I think I'll be able to document some in few days. That means we'll be able to do some palette hacks maybe ;)

Wish me luck =P

--------------------

Hacking CulT

Go there now or I'll cut your dick off.
emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

aim: drx1337

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Billy Hatcher
post Jun 17 2004, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Keep fucking

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 343

Pretty cool. Good luck with that =)

--------------------
Agin5543: Stop saying Pussy, you fucktards
Angel Baby Tails: k
Angel Baby Tails: Vagina
Agin5543: ...
Billy Hatcher88: XD

+Quote Post
Paine
post Jun 17 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #3

Guests

Will this be on hacking cult

+Quote Post
Raiser
post Jun 17 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #4

same old avatar...

Group Icon

Member No.: 407

OMG!!! SONIC IN CHAOTIX PLZ!!!!!1111

seriously, I've recently regained my interest in Chaotix, seeing how my 32x actually fucking works now. I was kind of hoping someone would do a disassembly, as the game actually has some hacking potential.

This post has been edited by Raiser: Jun 17 2004, 12:25 PM

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 17 2004, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Ok, some palettes. It's only first $7000 of the rom, and the rom is like $300000 =P

[b]$66c8[b] - rotating palette, $24 (colors)
IPB Image

[b]$6e18[b] - unknown, $50
IPB Image

[b]$71fa[b] - rotating, $3C
IPB Image

[b]$7272[b] - rotating (lighter one, maybe in water or something), $3C
IPB Image

[b]$7e86[b] - grayscale, $10
IPB Image

If you know what they are, tell me. There are more of them, but they're hardcoded.

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

+Quote Post
Knuckles Prower
post Jun 17 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #6

We've got your Dust Hill Zone right here

Group Icon

Member No.: 297

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 17 2004, 07:50 PM)
Ok, some palettes. It's only first $7000 of the rom, and the rom is like $300000 =P

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you know what they are, tell me. There are more of them, but they're hardcoded.

I have a very strong feeling that the first rotating pallette is used in the bad ending.

--------------------

Yes, I be ze Eenglish. =P

+Quote Post
rika_chou
post Jun 17 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #7

^________^

Group Icon

Member No.: 257

Hey, think you migh be able to figure out the sprite art format? I have been waiting for that for quite some time.

+Quote Post
Hivebrain
post Jun 17 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #8

The Thing

Group Icon

Member No.: 117

QUOTE(rika_chou @ Jun 17 2004, 01:07 PM)
Hey, think you migh be able to figure out the sprite art format? I have been waiting for that for quite some time.

He just needs to find the decompression subroutine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kojichao
post Jun 17 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Disconnected...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member DX
Member No.: 355

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 17 2004, 12:50 PM)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Those are generic Genesis palettes...

The level palettes, character palettes, and the like arestored in the MARS format.

If you scroll a bit further down, you can see Amy's Palette, from her dancing animation in the Sound Test.

--------------------

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
(I also do commissions now! Click here for more information!)

StHJJ1SEGA+++Son->++Egg+Shd+++iCrm++"Mra++iCha+++!P$++++GFCoca

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 18 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Koji, I was suprised, but no! Level palettes aren't stored in MARS format! I mean, they're stored in Genesis VDP, which means that they're stored in genesis format!

Rika: yeah, I'll try to find the routine. Now I'm working on the utility which will 'manual' all the $88xxxx stuff.

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 18 2004, 06:15 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Hmm, I've done an IDC that will go through all objects in OBJECT ARRAY and do the - $880000 stuff. But something's wrong with initializing variables, I don't know why. When I do 'int i;', there's an error =/ If you know how to fix it, great. If not, I'll use php, to do it the other way. Btw, this works if you do it for one object. Here's the source:

CODE

#include <idc.idc>

static main()
{

for (int i = 0x11d76; i < 0x12092; i=i+4) {
MakeCode(xtol("0x"+ltoa(xtol("0x"+ltoa(Dword(i), 16)) - 0x880000, 16)));
SetManualInsn(i,"dc.l loc_"+ltoa(xtol("0x"+ltoa(Dword(i), 16)) - 0x880000, 16));
}

}

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 18 2004, 06:25 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

okay, nevermind. I made a php code for that. Here's the code btw for that:

CODE

<pre>
#include <idc.idc>

static main()
{
<?

$start = hexdec($_GET["start"]);
$end   = hexdec($_GET["end"]);
$x     = $_GET["x"];

if ($x == 'w') {

while ($start != $end) {

echo " MakeWord(0x".dechex($start).");\n";
 $start = $start + 2;

}

}

if ($x == 'l') {

while ($start < $end) {

echo " MakeDword(0x".dechex($start).");\n";
 $start = $start + 4;

}

}

if ($x == 'cobj') {

while ($start < $end) {

echo ' MakeCode(xtol("0x"+ltoa(xtol("0x"+ltoa(Dword(0x'.dechex($start).'), 16)) - 0x880000, 16)));'."\n";
 echo ' SetManualInsn(0x'.dechex($start).',"dc.l loc_"+ltoa(xtol("0x"+ltoa(Dword(0x'.dechex($start).'), 16)) - 0x880000, 16));'."\n";

$start = $start + 4;

}

}
?>
}
</pre>

There are 3 uses of that. If you want to make a block of words you use

http:/something/script.php?x=w&start=56&end=156

If you want to make a block of longs, change ?x=w to ?x=l.

And the new function you probably won't use is x=cobj. Have fun =P

Back to chaotix stuff: Okay, I found object array. It's the array that has all objects in game in it. Rings, monitors etc. It wish I knew where's the sprite location table, because I could test it =P Stay tuned for more info ;)

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 18 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

w00, next update.

Here's the new stuff I found:

$75B6A - this is loaded to $A00000 (sound stuff). This is probably the first sound driver. Looks like uncompressed, however I'm not sure about that.

$76AAE - loaded to $A01000. Probably the second sound driver.

They are somehow linked o_O I don't know how this works. When I disabled the first one, no music or sounds were playing. When I disabled the second, the effect was nearly the same (only some screeches sometimes were playing). I tried looking for the $A01000 in both s1 and s2, and I found no matches, so it's probably 32x only.

$3fdca - Another palette. Looks very similar to the primary palette line in save select, only the 3 last colors are different. $10 colors.

IPB Image

$7739e - 'Debug mode' ascii stuff. Maybe I'll be able to take out some basic variables (like level and act) out of it.

IPB Image

More to come soon ;)

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 18 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Wow, you lot seem very interested in this =p However, it's still fun to do it. Whether you care or not.

$58160 - Some PCM sound. Here's the exported WAV file - http://www.bluehedgehog.org/!stuff/drx...chaotix_wav.zip Looks like some samples or something.

This game is funny =P

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Jun 18 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

Some things that might be helpful:

As soon as the 32X hardware gets initialized, the cartridge gets remapped to $88000-$A00000; however, this area is not big enough for the whole cartridge so it's bankswitched.

The sprites (or at least most of them) and a very small portion of the background are drawn using the 32X VDP; however, it is unclear whether its the SH-2s that do the drawing or the 68K. (I suspect the former, since they are substantially faster and more appropriate for software rendering; however, the 68K does have access to the 32X framebuffer).

I can give you the start addresses of the SH-2 code if you want to disassemble those too.

EDIT:
QUOTE(drx)
$75B6A - this is loaded to $A00000 (sound stuff). This is probably the first sound driver. Looks like uncompressed, however I'm not sure about that.

$76AAE - loaded to $A01000. Probably the second sound driver.

They are somehow linked o_O I don't know how this works. When I disabled the first one, no music or sounds were playing. When I disabled the second, the effect was nearly the same (only some screeches sometimes were playing). I tried looking for the $A01000 in both s1 and s2, and I found no matches, so it's probably 32x only.

$A01000 is still part of Z80 RAM. Z80 RAM goes from $A00000 to $A01FFF. The first chunk copied is probably the sound driver with the second chunk being the music data. In Sonic 2, the Z80 copies the music data itself, which is why you don't see two references to the Z80 area.

This post has been edited by Mask of Destiny: Jun 18 2004, 08:57 PM

--------------------
Do region conversions, dump cartridges, write Sega CD software. All this and more at http://www.retrodev.com/

Currently messing around with Mac OS X Cocoa development on my resurrected B&W G3.

+Quote Post
Kojichao
post Jun 18 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #16

Disconnected...

Group Icon

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 17 2004, 11:53 PM)
Koji, I was suprised, but no! Level palettes aren't stored in MARS format! I mean, they're stored in Genesis VDP, which means that they're stored in genesis format!

Rika: yeah, I'll try to find the routine. Now I'm working on the utility which will 'manual' all the $88xxxx stuff.

That's VERY interesting. o_O Because when I tried to find the palletes, all Icould find were the MARS ones... the Genesis ones were for simplistic stuff, I didn't think the levels used them... Though it makes some sense, as if your 32x is goobered, only the level background and foreground are displayed, no music, and no charaters are displayed....

Interesting... OK, so it must also be for palette overlays, right?

(By the way, anyone figured out a graphics decompression formula for this game? I want to finish my hack, 'Sonic in Knuckles Chaotix'. XD )

--------------------

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 19 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Thanks MoD, that helped alot. And this sh2 code start location will also help. I actually made a sh2 disassembly (using Trzy's sh2d) and I found no sh2 code there (rom is $300000 long, so I didn't bother to look farther).

Koji: Why not Sonic Chaotix? =P I'll try to find those palettes. I hope they're not compressed or something.

MoD, again =P: Hmm, do you have the data locations table. I mean, where is the 68k code located, 68kRAM, SDRAM etc. I know that Z80 is at $A00000 - something, SH2 - 0-something and 68kRAM is at FF0000-FFFFFF.
It would be nice if you knew where the SDRAM is in memory, because I found the rings location in SDRAM some months ago, and using it, I could find the ring object and some other variables (eg. in s2 there are blocks of 'variable cleaning'. I mean, moveq #0,d0, then move.w d0,($FFFFFE20).w etc).

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
drx
post Jun 19 2004, 05:37 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

GOOD NEWS!

I finally found the level palettes. And as I thought, they're in Genesis palette format. Look:

IPB Image

Maybe it's not the best palette hack in the world =P But hey, it's something. A hacking guide is coming soon :D

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Jun 19 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #19

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

Member No.: 85

000000 - 3FFFFF: cart before 32X init
400000 - 7FFFFF: Expansion port
800000 - 83FFFF: ?
840000 - 87FFFF: 32X framebuffers
880000 - 9FFFFF: cart after 32x init (bankswitched)
A00000 - A0FFFF: Z80 memory space (RAM from A00000 - A01FFF)
A10000 - A1001F: I/O chip
A11100 : Z80 Bus request
A11200 : Z80 reset
A12000 - ? : Sega CD regs
A130EC : 32X presence detect reg
A14000 : Genesis security reg (write 'SEGA' to this reg to enable VDP on certain Genesis models)
A14101 : Cartridge control reg (write a 1 to bit 0 to unmap the Genesis OS ROM and map in the cartridge on models with the "Produced or licensed by sega" message)
A15100 - ? : 32X regs

C00000 - DFFFFF: VDP/PSG (mirrored many times)
E00000 - FFFFFF: 68K RAM (mirrored many times, usually accessed at FF0000 and up)

SH-2s
00000000 - 000001FF: BIOS (different for master and slave processors)
06000000 - 06040000: 32X Work RAM (256KB)
20004000 - ? : 32X Regs
22000000 - ? : cartridge
24000000 - 24004000: Framebuffers

Note: The addresses for the SH-2s aren't the only ones that hardware can be used at, just the most common ones.

Special thanks to Charles MacDonald for parts of the 68K memory map.

--------------------
Do region conversions, dump cartridges, write Sega CD software. All this and more at http://www.retrodev.com/

Currently messing around with Mac OS X Cocoa development on my resurrected B&W G3.

+Quote Post
Kojichao
post Jun 19 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #20

Disconnected...

Group Icon

QUOTE(drx @ Jun 19 2004, 02:31 AM)
Koji: Why not Sonic Chaotix? =P I'll try to find those palettes. I hope they're not compressed or something.

Oh, the characters have MARS format palettes. I've alreacy changed Mighty's palette to Sonic's. I just need to edit the graphics.

Where's my screenshot....

*Makes a new one*

IPB Image

:) All that is needed to be done, is edit the graphics, really.... And modify Might/Sonic's palette a small bit...

--------------------

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 02:06 AM