Dr. Eggfan
post Nov 8 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #1

SURELY REVIVE

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 402

It's a long story so bear with me.

Despite the fact that my first introductions to video games were an Atari 2600 (Frogger and Pitfall own you) and a Donkey Kong jnr Game & watch that were both owned by my cousin, and an original 1989 Game Boy (of which I have fond memories and still own) that I got for Christmas one year, I soon developed a strong Sega fanboyistic bias (with a hint of Nintendo respect) with the Sega Master System I received under a later Christmas tree. Alex kidd, Wonder Boy and the 8-bit Sonics – these classics from the golden era kept me going long into the Mega Drive's lifespan. However, when the opportunity arose to trade them in for a Mega Drive II with both Sonic 1 and 2 (and a sonic t-shirt which I still have somewhere), I hastily jumped at the chance. I soon regretted that decision and tracked down new copies of the 8-bit sonic classics, a power base converter, and an original MS control pad. I learnt one of life’s greatest lessons, if you have any interest in video games, you hoard every must-have classic game, hardware and peripherals you can find and never ever sell them.

I started to develop a sizeable collection, but I always wanted more. When the price of the Mega CD II hit $100, I bought one with Sonic CD - the greatest investment I ever made. As the new generation was picking up steam, I ignored the $700 plus next-gen consoles and started hoarding old mega drive carts - second hand, ex-rental, new games that were dumped in bargain bins, free games from mates who didn't want them anymore, peripherals, and the odd Mega CD game that was going for cheap too. I also scored my cousins SNES for free with a handful of Ninty classics.

A mate at high school offered to sell me his 32X, which I hadn't even seen in stores yet, for $300. At this stage, the 32X was looking promising, and offered a cheap alternative into the 32-bit generation. I still think that it could have been great, but we all know it went horribly, horribly wrong, but I didn't care because I was having too much fun with Star Wars Arcade and Metal Head.

As you can probably guess, my addiction was putting a strain on my own and family’s finances. At this point my mum made a stand and made me promise to not by a new console ever again. She didn't quite understand the necessity of upgrading to the new generation every few years, but I understood where she was coming from and deluded myself into thinking that I didn't need that brand-spanking new, sexy-looking Saturn in the shop window. I had a number of games for the Mega Drive I hadn't even played yet (and still haven't) so I put my head down and developed an appreciation for retro gaming, staunchly purporting to my mates the delights of yesteryears classics, and the advantages of buying new games for cheap on old systems. But deep down I longed for new generation Sega classics.

In Year 10 woodworking, there was this new kid I met who actually owned a Saturn. I forget his real name, but because of his white blond, short curly hair, everyone called him Sheepie. Needless to say, Sheepie and I became good mates, but I was secretly using him to get to his Saturn. I convinced him to trade consoles for a while, I got his Saturn, he got my Mega Drive-CD-32X monstrosity. I fell in love with it instantly. He didn't have a spectacularly impressive library, but I soon hired many classics from the local video shop, including Panzer Dragoon, Resident Evil, and Sonic 3D (whose main game didn't interest me since I had the MD version, but those special stages were magical - those who said the Saturn couldn't handle transparencies were fucking wrong.). My brief introduction to Nights on the demo disk was short but incredibly sweet, and I knew I had to get myself a Saturn. My devotion went so far as to record game play of the Saturn on video tape before we swapped our consoles back, so as to preserve the memory for years to come.

After a spectactularly successful Higher School Certifciate performance, my mum awarded me with a shiny new Dreamcast, bless her. We all know of Dreamcast's awesomeness, and you can understand that it almost made me forget about the Saturn. Howver, years later, while browsing through a second hand store, I saw it. A Saturn. For a mere $40. As a uni student I couldn't really afford or justify the purchase, and after some long soul searching and umming and arring, I decided to walk out and leave it behind. There were no games to buy with it, but I did have a copy of Nights in my Sonic Team collection that was waiting for some hardware to set it free. If you were here back then, you may remember me asking whether I should have bought it or not, and whether the magic of Nights could be fully experienced without the analogue controller. When the answer came back a resounding "OH GOD YES GO BACK AND BUY IT YOU SILLY FUCKWIT" I was back the next day. But. No Saturn. Gone. My deliberation had cost me a reuniun with a long lost friend. I learnt another of life’s lessons, never ever hesitate.

Last month, I bought a second hand Gamecube with Wind Waker and the Resident Evil remake (gotta love the public – when something great becomes unpopular, you can pick it up for cheap). Money is tight and I swore that it would be my last big purchase for the year, but a few weeks ago, I spied a new copy of Eternal Darkness at 75% off. I planned to just go in buy it for $20, and spend nothing more. However, a second hand store had second hand GCN games at 3 for $50 and I couldn’t resist picking up Metroid Prime, Pikmin, and Luigi’s mansion, but that was it, I wasn’t going to spend anymore.

Then I entered an independent, dedicated games store called the Gamesmen, just to browse in the last place locally that still has Dreamcast stuff in stock. They had some DC games going for $2 each, and I picked up half a dozen mainly for the pristine cases I could use to replace some damaged ones at home, rather than for the games inside. I also picked up the guide to Half Life on DC for a laugh. They had some other non-essential DC games going for $15, but I’d already spent too much. I also saw some Saturn games for sale, but I didn’t look too closely since it brought back painful memories. There were some interesting MD and MS games for sale and I considered Thunder Force IV for a while, but at $10 it wasn’t cheap enough for my liking. Then I gravitated to the TARDIS like cylindrical display cabinet in the centre of the store, showcasing some rare consoles from yesteryear. Cool, I’d never seen an Intellivision before. Then. Bottom shelf. It was wrapped in plastic and labelled “REFURB RETRO CONSOLE” but I knew what it was. A Sega Saturn. For $40. Trying not squeal with delight like a hyper active school girl, I did my best to casually stroll over to the Saturn games. Panzer Dragoon Zweii $10. Virtua On $10. “Excuse me. Can I get into this cabinet. I’d like to buy some things.” Suffice to say, I walked out a very happy and satisfied customer.

--------------------
IPB Image
Still working on it...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
InsaneSonikkuFan
post Nov 9 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #2

meteos is love.

Group Icon

Group: CulT Posse
Member No.: 17

omg it's eggfan

now i'm sure you didn't just show up again just to tell us about a saturn :P

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overlord
post Nov 9 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #3

I love 1Mb/s DC++ Hubs, I really do

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 122

I love a happy ending :)

btw, welcome back =P

--------------------
Shadowsoft-Games.com

A new style.

From all over the UK and proud of it, bitches. =P

Mystifying MSN Chats!Overlord: Also, I've discovered something unsettling
Overlord: The Now Playing and Fucking Love/Hate sections on people's sigs
Overlord: Are faded/darked versions of colours
Overlord: Grey is dark white, and the other 2 can be lightened to be red and blue, as they are
NiktheGreek: Yup
Overlord: What flag uses the colour and layout of the setup?
Overlord: RUSSIA
Overlord: IT'S AN INVASION D:
NiktheGreek: XDDDDD

+Quote Post
STC-Fan
post Nov 9 2005, 04:24 PM
Post #4

A DVD Not Coming Soon: BBC2 IDENT COLLECTION! =D

Group Icon

Member No.: 199

Lovely story there =P

ISF: he probably did come back just to tell us, given his recent enormous track record of posts here =P

--------------------
Cool links:

[STC's Hacking Shed | Hacking CulT]
Doom9 | Hydrogenaudio | NewsNow | Private Eye | StorageReview | The Mark Steel Lectures | Transport Watch UK | UK:Resistance

Proprietor of ShedLAN Enterprises - New York * Paris * Romford (some day! *blasted*). Status: All 5 working. Future Plans: PC #5 to be replaced with self-built AMD system by June, only need to get one more thing to build it - a Sempr0n or AthlonXP CPU, whichever's cheaper...

+Quote Post
NiktheGreek
post Nov 9 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Iori has a point there

Group Icon

Member No.: 271

It's nice to read such a positive story - games, happiness and Eggfan. Impeccable taste with the Virtual On purchase, too.

--------------------

NiktheGreek: Bringing unmeasurable amounts of happiness into your drab little lives.

+Quote Post
Overlord
post Nov 10 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #6

I love 1Mb/s DC++ Hubs, I really do

Group Icon

Member No.: 122

Let's hope he's better than you at it ;P

--------------------
Shadowsoft-Games.com

A new style.

From all over the UK and proud of it, bitches. =P

Mystifying MSN Chats!Overlord: Also, I've discovered something unsettling
Overlord: The Now Playing and Fucking Love/Hate sections on people's sigs
Overlord: Are faded/darked versions of colours
Overlord: Grey is dark white, and the other 2 can be lightened to be red and blue, as they are
NiktheGreek: Yup
Overlord: What flag uses the colour and layout of the setup?
Overlord: RUSSIA
Overlord: IT'S AN INVASION D:
NiktheGreek: XDDDDD

+Quote Post
NiktheGreek
post Nov 10 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #7

Iori has a point there

Group Icon

Member No.: 271

Get thee down to Essex and watch in horror as I decimate you on my native Dreamcast territory. =P

--------------------

NiktheGreek: Bringing unmeasurable amounts of happiness into your drab little lives.

+Quote Post
Dr. Eggfan
post Nov 10 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #8

SURELY REVIVE

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 402

QUOTE(ISF)
omg it's eggfan

now i'm sure you didn't just show up again just to tell us about a saturn :P

QUOTE(STC-Fan)
Lovely story there =P

ISF: he probably did come back just to tell us, given his recent enormous track record of posts here =P

I've been back for a while and posted a little bit, just getting a feel for the place again. 1st topic though.

As the sig says, I'm still working on it, although the popularity of hacks has diminished somewhat, despite the fact that some amazing things are now possible (ie StephenUK's work). Won't be released for a long long time though, longer now that I've got some quality retro gaming to do.

Recent pic
IPB Image

QUOTE(Nik)
It's nice to read such a positive story - games, happiness and Eggfan. Impeccable taste with the Virtual On purchase, too.

It's one of a big list of games I've always wanted to play. Still haven't gotten around to giving it a whirl though. Stupid work eating into my free time.

--------------------
IPB Image
Still working on it...

+Quote Post
Ultima
post Nov 10 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #9

:>

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,874

Eggfan! =P

--------------------
IPB Image

Ultima: when johnny gets back from "Bolton Beerfest 2005"
kquilber: That a weekly event?

+Quote Post

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 10:41 PM