> 68k Assembly Tutorial, since MOD hasnt posted it here yet
Mask of Destiny
post Dec 19 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #21

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 85

QUOTE(Jimi Hendrix @ Dec 17 2004, 10:32 PM)
Is this for all 68k processors or specifically geared towards the MegaDrive? In other words, can TI-89 users use this to make some shiznat?

This particular tutorial is intended to be relatively generic so should be applicable to just about any 68K based platform. However, this tutorial alone does not contain enough information to develop for any particular platform. For the TI-89 you'd have to find info on the OS calls and or hardware programming detailis.

QUOTE(Mask of Destiny)
I'll put the code up sometime this week. Hopefully, it's not too much of a mess.

Heh, completely forgot I said that. Too late now, lost all my Sega CD related source code in a hard drive crash a while back (I really need to be better about backups). I've almost finished rewriting my region converter, but I haven't touched anything else.

--------------------
Do region conversions, dump cartridges, write Sega CD software. All this and more at http://www.retrodev.com/

Currently messing around with Mac OS X Cocoa development on my resurrected B&W G3.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Solemnity
post Mar 27 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 9,312

Wow.. if I was a newbie with just mere knowledge of C++ do you think I can get this stuff? How did you all start hacking and doing 68k?

+Quote Post
drx
post Mar 27 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #23

whoa... i'm drunkz0r... o_O...

Group Icon

Member No.: 460

I got 68kd and disassembled the Sonic 1 rom. And I looked at it for hours, days, months. That's how I learnt 68k asm =p

--------------------

Hacking CulT

Go there now or I'll cut your dick off.
emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

aim: drx1337

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Mar 28 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #24

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

QUOTE(Solemnity @ Mar 27 2005, 01:48 PM)
Wow.. if I was a newbie with just mere knowledge of C++ do you think I can get this stuff? How did you all start hacking and doing 68k?

I started by reading a decent tutorial on Z80 assembly. I made a very very simple demo for the SMS and then I moved on to the 68K. I then found a guide on ticalc.org. It was basically just a watered down version of Motorola's 68K Programming Manual. I made a few basic Genesis demos (using Charles MacDonald's excellent VDP doc as reference) and then I started reverse engineering the Sega CD BIOS. From there I wrote some software for the Sega CD.

In retrospect the little Z80 detour probably didn't help that much (other than that it had a nice tutorial and at the time I couldn't find such a tutorial for the 68k).

I think anyone who can learn to program competently can learn assembly if they put their minds to it. I tried to gear my tutorial towards the novice, but I now wonder if completely abstracting it from any particular platform was a good idea (the theory is all well and good, but without concrete examples it can be difficult for some).

--------------------
Do region conversions, dump cartridges, write Sega CD software. All this and more at http://www.retrodev.com/

Currently messing around with Mac OS X Cocoa development on my resurrected B&W G3.

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Mar 28 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #25

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

Member No.: 140

QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Mar 28 2005, 08:42 PM)
I made a few basic Genesis demos (using Charles MacDonald's excellent VDP doc as reference)

Speaking of whom, did he use to be a SEGA insider or something? I remember reading some of those documents and they were copied literally from the official SEGA Genesis dev manual.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Mar 28 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #26

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

I don't think so. Which document in particular appeared to be copied from the dev manual?

--------------------

+Quote Post
drx
post Mar 28 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

The Sega Dev manual is leaked to public, so anyone can use it/copy stuff from it =P

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

+Quote Post
Solemnity
post Mar 28 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

You guys think learning Allegro will help go towards working with Assembly?.. lol. *never done anything beyond simple MSDOS*

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Mar 29 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #29

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

I can't say learning Allegro will help you very much with assembly. Given that it's hardly used these days I don't think I'd really recommend learning it at all (unless there's some specific reason you're interested in it). SDL or DirectX would seem to be more logical choices.

Things that might help:
Solid knowledge of how pointers work
Writing some low-level code that bangs hardware directly

And I don't see those as prerequisites. You really need to just hunker down and learn assembly, either by reading a tutorial, a programmers manual, or just sitting down in front of the disassembler (with some kind of reference on what the instructions do of course) and try to figure out what's going on. If you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to assist you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Mar 30 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #30

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

Member No.: 140

QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Mar 28 2005, 10:09 PM)
I don't think so.  Which document in particular appeared to be copied from the dev manual?

I've just checked his site and the txt documentation in there isn't what I was referring to. I was speaking of some other documents in html format Rika Chou linked to, some time ago. =|

--------------------

+Quote Post
drx
post Mar 30 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

He posted a lot of stuff which isn't on his website. I had everything on my old HDD ;_;

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post
Mask of Destiny
post Mar 30 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #32

Objective-C == suckage

Group Icon

The stuff that is missing was widely available from other sources. The only exclusive stuff was his documentation (which is still there with one exception) and those schematics scans (no idea where he got those).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Solemnity
post Apr 3 2005, 03:58 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Mar 29 2005, 09:46 PM)
I can't say learning Allegro will help you very much with assembly.  Given that it's hardly used these days I don't think I'd really recommend learning it at all (unless there's some specific reason you're interested in it).  SDL or DirectX would seem to be more logical choices.

Things that might help:

And I don't see those as prerequisites.  You really need to just hunker down and learn assembly, either by reading a tutorial, a programmers manual, or just sitting down in front of the disassembler (with some kind of reference on what the instructions do of course) and try to figure out what's going on.  If you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to assist you.

I'm learning Allegro to program games in C++ o.o.. isn't that a good reason? I hear it's easier than otehr languages and being the newbie in C++ I am in the first week i already learned sprite displaying, animation & handling bitmaps :P... so yeh.

+Quote Post
Dude
post Apr 3 2005, 08:03 AM
Post #34

TEN THOUSAND FISTS IN THE AIIIIIR

Group Icon

Member No.: 100

QUOTE(Solemnity @ Apr 3 2005, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE(Mask of Destiny @ Mar 29 2005, 09:46 PM)
I can't say learning Allegro will help you very much with assembly.  Given that it's hardly used these days I don't think I'd really recommend learning it at all (unless there's some specific reason you're interested in it).  SDL or DirectX would seem to be more logical choices.

Things that might help:

And I don't see those as prerequisites.  You really need to just hunker down and learn assembly, either by reading a tutorial, a programmers manual, or just sitting down in front of the disassembler (with some kind of reference on what the instructions do of course) and try to figure out what's going on.  If you get stuck, I'd be more than happy to assist you.

I'm learning Allegro to program games in C++ o.o.. isn't that a good reason? I hear it's easier than otehr languages and being the newbie in C++ I am in the first week i already learned sprite displaying, animation & handling bitmaps :P... so yeh.

Yeah, but I'd assume that is because allegro and c++ are both higher-level languages. Assembly is as low as it gets next to binary, so I really don't think allegro would have any resemblance. Not like I've ever used it though.

--------------------
IPB Image

"Ricans do what Mexican't" - Dude

+Quote Post
Techokami
post Aug 25 2005, 01:25 PM
Post #35

Run away, PacMan!

Group Icon

Member No.: 95

I've found what could be the book on 68K assembly. Goes deep into programming and the hardware.
ISBN number: 0-13-811357-2
I found this at some second-hand bookstore in the ghetto part of Franklin, MA, in the back it has the full data sheet for the Motorola 68230, all 30 pages of it. I'm making scans of this section, I'll post them here when I get the other 20 pages done.

--------------------
QUOTE (BMP on the subject of Windows XP)
BIG CHUNKY BUTTONS

MY FIRST WINXPBOX, BY FISCHER PRICE

-=KNUCKLES T15'S HATE LIST=-
1. Jaeson: I do something "stupid" in #srb2, he kick/bans me, yet he's doing the EXACT SAME THING. Assy hypocrite.
2. Masaki (not Ryoga, the one from SFGHQ/#srb2): A dick to all, and can't take a fucking joke.
3. Napagator: You asked for help at MFGG, I gave it to you. Why the fuck did you flame back? He officially left MFGG forever, yay. He came back (boo) but he matured IMMENSELY (yayyyyy)
-=END LIST=-

+Quote Post
Tweaker
post Aug 25 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #36

Untouchable.

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,059

68230? This is for the 68000, so I don't see how it'd be helpful in this cause.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
STC-Fan
post Aug 26 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #37

A DVD Not Coming Soon: BBC2 IDENT COLLECTION! =D

Group Icon

Member No.: 199

I've got a book on 68K programming. It's called "MC68000 Assembly Language Programming, Second Edition", ISBN number is 0-340-54451-1. I'd make an eBook version of my copy, but I've actually borrowed it from someone. And then of course... is it worth bothering? It's a fairly lengthy book (344 pages) as well.

--------------------
Cool links:

[STC's Hacking Shed | Hacking CulT]
Doom9 | Hydrogenaudio | NewsNow | Private Eye | StorageReview | The Mark Steel Lectures | Transport Watch UK | UK:Resistance

Proprietor of ShedLAN Enterprises - New York * Paris * Romford (some day! *blasted*). Status: All 5 working. Future Plans: PC #5 to be replaced with self-built AMD system by June, only need to get one more thing to build it - a Sempr0n or AthlonXP CPU, whichever's cheaper...

+Quote Post
Tweaker
post Aug 26 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #38

Untouchable.

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE(STC-Fan @ Aug 26 2005, 09:26 AM) *

I've got a book on 68K programming. It's called "MC68000 Assembly Language Programming, Second Edition", ISBN number is 0-340-54451-1. I'd make an eBook version of my copy, but I've actually borrowed it from someone. And then of course... is it worth bothering? It's a fairly lengthy book (344 pages) as well.

I would, if I were you. The official guide is 600+ pages, so you've got it off easy. :P

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Techokami
post Aug 26 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #39

Run away, PacMan!

Group Icon

Member No.: 95

QUOTE(Nibesto @ Aug 25 2005, 03:39 PM) *

68230? This is for the 68000, so I don't see how it'd be helpful in this cause.

The 68230 was one of the later revisions of the 68000. The book covered general 68K assembly programming, not 68230 only assembly.

--------------------
QUOTE (BMP on the subject of Windows XP)
BIG CHUNKY BUTTONS

MY FIRST WINXPBOX, BY FISCHER PRICE

-=KNUCKLES T15'S HATE LIST=-
1. Jaeson: I do something "stupid" in #srb2, he kick/bans me, yet he's doing the EXACT SAME THING. Assy hypocrite.
2. Masaki (not Ryoga, the one from SFGHQ/#srb2): A dick to all, and can't take a fucking joke.
3. Napagator: You asked for help at MFGG, I gave it to you. Why the fuck did you flame back? He officially left MFGG forever, yay. He came back (boo) but he matured IMMENSELY (yayyyyy)
-=END LIST=-

+Quote Post
drx
post Aug 26 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

I wonder if someone would be interested in me teaching them all my ASM knowledge for money =PPPPP

--------------------

Hacking CulT

emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 02:16 AM