Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sonic: Project Chaos, A new game from an old game
StephenUK
post Oct 6 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 9,574

I've been working on a hack for the last year or so, and in that time i've restarted it loads of times coz i've thought it was shit. Now, i've finally got designs done and it's actually going the way I want it to. So far i've added quite a few features to it since i finally learnt ASM. It's a hack of Sonic 2, and so far i've added the following:

Time Travel (supporting 17 zones,with 3 timezones each, which may become 4 if space allows)
3 playable characters, each with character specific moves
New level art and layouts
New objects - Random ring monitor, Warp posts (SCD) etc
Some other random modified code

I've got to recode some of the Time Travel feature at the moment, coz it uses the starpost as a main warp point. I'm going to recode it to work just like SCD, where you can warp anywhere providing you're at a certain speed. The hack is far from complete, so I won't be posting a ROM for quite some time.

For now, i'll leave you with 3 pics of GHZ in Past, Present and Good Future. The Good Future art isn't quite complete yet so it looks a bit plain. A lot has updated since I took these shots, but they are only an example of what it's like. I've also included some video footage of the Time Travel in action as it is at the moment, just in case anyone doubts me.

I'm hoping to release a version as soon as the timezones for GHZ (not a port from S1 btw) are finished.

IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image

Time Travel Footage (4MB, no sound)

EDIT: On a side note, does anybody know the format for vertical background rasterisation? I know the format for horizontal rasterisation, but i'm struggling to work out the vertical format. Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
SONIC: PROJECT CHAOS

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
McAleeCh
post Oct 6 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,037

...Can't help you with any of the technical stuff, sorry, but just wanted to say GHZ future looks great. ^_^ Aswell as the other timezones, obviously, but y'know, the Future's the only one new to me as such.

I hope recoding the Time Travel to work more like SCD works well for you. Also, if you can't manage to find the space to do 4 timezones, an idea; you stated at one point that all futures were to be treated as Good Futures if you could only get 3 timezones in. However, it'd probably make more sense for any mechanical / Robotnik-created zones, to default to Bad Future if there's only 3 timezones. Just a thought, since I hardly think any mechanical / Robotnik-created Zone would end up in a particularly good way in the future.

Also, for the bridge in GHZ past, would it be possible to make it load different art that uses the same palette as the Past version of the totem poles? Since, a purple log bridge doesn't quite look right, and I notice you've made the totems in the past use the same palette as the mountains in the background. Is it unfeasible to take advantage of this idea to have brown log bridges in GHZ past?

Anyway, that's all from me. =P Hope someone can help you with the vertical rasterised layer deformation.

+Quote Post
rika_chou
post Oct 6 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #3

^________^

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 257

vertical background rasterisation....

SHB taught me all about that.

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 7 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Tht totem poles are level art, whereas the bridge is an object, and is therefore based on a load cue. Unless I made timezone specific load cues, I can't do it. I've tried to do timezone specific cues, but they wouldn't work. Strangely enough, character specific load cues worked perfectly. Unless I can get the timezone specific ones to work, the bridge is going to have to stay as it is. The palette formats are different between timezones.

Anyway, are you willing to share that info on vertical rasterisation Rika? I never see SHB on AIM anymore to ask him about it.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
rika_chou
post Oct 7 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #5

^________^

Group Icon

Member No.: 257

I don't have his permission to share it, but he will probably tell you everything if you ask.

As for your bridges, that would be pretty easy. Just don't use a cue. Draw the bridge art in with the level art. Then edit the object code to read from this new VRAM location.

Now just edit the bridge art in each set of level art. Do you understand?

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 7 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(rika_chou @ Oct 7 2005, 08:03 AM) *

I don't have his permission to share it, but he will probably tell you everything if you ask.

As for your bridges, that would be pretty easy. Just don't use a cue. Draw the bridge art in with the level art. Then edit the object code to read from this new VRAM location.

Yeah I could do that, and I could do that for most objects to solve my VRAM problems. I only had about 2 tiles of free space left as it was. If I saw SHB around I would ask him, but he's never online anymore, and I don't think it's the sort of thing he'd wanna post openly at the moment. Never mind, i'll just do it myself.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
PsychoSk8r
post Oct 7 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #7

I'm Back Beeyatches! =P

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,833

Looks awesome, keep up the good work!

--------------------

PsychoSk8r's Quotes
IRC
* Dirtster throws a car at djbrayster
* djbrayster dodges and drives away in the car
Dirtster> :P
Dirtster> IT NEEDS AN M.O.T.!!
* Dirtster runs
djbrayster> Wha?! I Dunno how to drive!!!!!
* djbrayster drives over cliff
PsychoSk8r> XD
* Dirtster watches as djbrayster hits a trampoline
djbrayster> IN A CAR?!
Dirtster> yup
PsychoSk8r> XDD
Dirtster> lmao
Dirtster> the little white lights turn on

PsychoSk8r. Joined January 3rd 2003

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tweaker
post Oct 7 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #8

Untouchable.

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,059

QUOTE(StephenUK @ Oct 7 2005, 07:41 AM) *

Yeah I could do that, and I could do that for most objects to solve my VRAM problems. I only had about 2 tiles of free space left as it was. If I saw SHB around I would ask him, but he's never online anymore, and I don't think it's the sort of thing he'd wanna post openly at the moment. Never mind, i'll just do it myself.

Did you try PMing him? I thought that to be a fairly obvious, and useful solution to getting in contact with him. =P

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
OrdosAlpha
post Oct 7 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Rotate motherfucker! ROTATE!

Group Icon

Member No.: 261

QUOTE(StephenUK @ Oct 7 2005, 12:41 PM) *

States the fuckin' obvious: I suggest you place the bridge art at the same address in all time zones, that way you only have to fuck around with the one object.

--------------------
My Staff banner owns you all! Bow down to it's greatness and beg for mercy!

Hacking Cult
Come on over and join the party!

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 7 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

75% of all zone related objects are now gonna be included inside the level art, coz I can see these dodgy object colours becoming a recurring theme. The only objects that will remain as they are, will be the ones that use palette lines 0 and/or 1. I'll try my best to get a release done by the end of the weekend, although it will only contain 1 zone. It's been a bit delayed by various shit, but hopefully it'll be up to standards.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 9 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Sorry for the double post, but I thought it would be necessary.

I've decided to release the current version of my hack. So far, it includes the following:

Time Travel support (collect warp icon and jump into starpost stars)
Sonic Speed Boost (Hold A to increase speed. Drains rings at a rate of 10/sec. Sonic Only)
Sonic and Shadow (Shadow uses Johnny's sprites as temporary placeholder)
GHZ acts 1 and 2 complete (all timezones)
Emerald Hunt (in one timezone per zone, but varies zone to zone)

I'm aware that act 2 has a few broken tiles in the pipes, but i'm gonna fix them another time. The menu on the title screen uses left and right to switch between selections. This is in place ready for the new menu, but i've not put that in yet. On the options menu, Sonic and Tails = Sonic, and Sonic Alone = Shadow. Other than these, i'm not aware of any issues, so if you find any more, please let me know. Anyway, the link is below. Hope you like it.

Sonic: Project Chaos v2.5

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
LocalH
post Oct 9 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #12

You're a complete bastard and we all hate you

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,253

Yay, a new hack to load on my Genesis after I eat ^_^

--------------------
Q: What does a man with a two foot cock have for breakfast?
A: This morning I had a boiled egg.

+Quote Post
LocalH
post Oct 9 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #13

You're a complete bastard and we all hate you

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,253

Erm, a bad problem right off the bat - EHZ doesn't even load. When the title screen lapses and the demo begins, the music plays but the screen stays black. Same thing with single player. I enabled cheats and got the same results on every zone I tried. Even the special stage died - the screen went solid purple and seems to have switched into one of the interlaced modes, although without any tile data I can't easily tell if it's interlace 1 or 2. Unlike when the regular levels fail to load, this also seems to kill the whole system - I have to power cycle and reload the ROM in order to do anything else.

I also want to stress that I only got this on my real Genesis. I also loaded the ROM in Kega and it seems to work fine there.

--------------------
Q: What does a man with a two foot cock have for breakfast?
A: This morning I had a boiled egg.

+Quote Post
Master Tails
post Oct 9 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Lemmy Koopa

Group Icon

Group: Unwanted
Member No.: 9,597

As I've said before, you're art is very good. Keep up the good work.

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 10 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

I've updated the link above to the revised version of my hack. Bugfixes include:

Solidity tags fixed (they were too close to the loops to have effect)
Act 2 Past and Future backgrounds
Removed diagonal spring from Act 2 Future
Fixed Spindash charge (It was coz of something I changed while trying to do the Peel Out)

Hopefully, it'll work on the real hardware now, coz i've scrapped the SRAM save/load data, although I left the SRAM still enabled in the main header. The load data was built into 2P option, which is why selecting that started a new game with 0 lives. The SRAM wouldn't save anything for some strange reason. Anyway, if you find any more bugs, let me know. I'm gonna start work on Bionic Base Present when I get back from work.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Rockman Zero
post Oct 15 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #16

Zero rules

Group Icon

Member No.: 126

The rar file is corrupt.

--------------------
fix your shit

+Quote Post
StephenUK
post Oct 15 2005, 04:37 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Ok fixed the rar. It's got an even later version now, which has the following added:

Modified Title Screen

Sonic CD warp posts

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

+Quote Post
SSUK
post Oct 20 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #18

SSUK-Kol. Your favorite comunist-run city. =D

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,075

This thing kicks so much ass, keep up that damn good work. D=

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm a place in North Korea. (Note my country... =P)

+Quote Post
B2A5S5S
post Oct 23 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,800

QUOTE(StephenUK @ Oct 10 2005, 01:34 AM) *

I've updated the link above to the revised version of my hack. Bugfixes include:

Solidity tags fixed (they were too close to the loops to have effect)
Act 2 Past and Future backgrounds
Removed diagonal spring from Act 2 Future
Fixed Spindash charge (It was coz of something I changed while trying to do the Peel Out)

Hopefully, it'll work on the real hardware now, coz i've scrapped the SRAM save/load data, although I left the SRAM still enabled in the main header. The load data was built into 2P option, which is why selecting that started a new game with 0 lives. The SRAM wouldn't save anything for some strange reason. Anyway, if you find any more bugs, let me know. I'm gonna start work on Bionic Base Present when I get back from work.

Maybe you meant it to be this way, but from what I played in the first level, and I noticed this with Sonic, is that the ring monitors seemingly give random amounts of rings- as far as to 40 rings for one monitor. Maybe you have different monitors set up, but that's something that was odd. Other than that, nice job from what I've played so far.

+Quote Post
Tweaker
post Oct 23 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #20

Untouchable.

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,059

Yeah, it was intended. I even saw the source for it. =P

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:59 PM