Sonic Stadium
Green Hill Zone

THE 10 CULTMANDMENTS | THE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO POSTING AT SCARZ
Sonic Online
Sonic Dimension

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a "sound rip" rom..., anyone have any ideas?
Eric Wright
post Jul 26 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 760

Possibly fooling around with music in games piqued my interest when I stumbled upon a rom for Turbo Grafx-16 of just the bgm from Bomberman 94. In fact, there are apparently tons of these "sound rips" roms out there of TG16 games... (here's the link to the "B" section at romnation: http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/pce/b.html ).

Anyway, I was delighted to find this because there's one song in Bomberman 94 I absolutely LOVE. The bgm for Jammin' Jungle (first "world") is fucking AWESOME. "Mega Bomberman" for Genesis is basically a port of Bman94, with a few small changes due to hardware differences... BUT, they COMPLETELY changed the 1player level music!! ;_; I was totally unaware of this until I finally played Bman94 a few months ago (I didn't even know it existed, nor did I know MBman was a port)... I remembered playing Mega Bomberman YEARS ago.

Ultimately, I would like to be able to find some way to port the music over to the Genesis version... there's GOT to be a way to do it, but I have no idea right now and have no knowledge of working in roms at all yet. I'm sure notation wouldn't be as much of a problem as finding the right instruments... though, in Columns III, I found some that sounded close enough...

For now, though, I was wondering if anyone would be able (and willing) to make a similar kind of "sound rips" rom for a few Genesis games... or perhaps, if anyone would have some help or ideas to offer as to how to go about it.

I love the BGM in a bunch of games I have, but none of them have a sound test... Sonic Spinball, and Road Rash 3 for immediate example...

Would it be possible to accomplish this? is anyone willing to offer? ^_^;; depending on the work involved and the possible outcomes I might even be able to foot a few bucks as incentive :3

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST
You want it? Here's a torrent: CLICK HERE
Encoded using LAME 3.96.1, -q1 --preset extreme
I will be seeding for as long as I have this posted in my signature.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drx
post Jul 26 2005, 03:49 AM
Post #2

whoa... i'm drunkz0r... o_O...

Group Icon

Member No.: 460

Just a menu where you can select sounds/music to play? List the games please.

--------------------

Hacking CulT

Go there now or I'll cut your dick off.
emails:
spam@the-drx.org

thedrx@gmail.com
drx@hacking-cult.org
drx@bluehedgehog.org
drx@shadowsoft-games.com
and the list goes on...

cool people list:
16-Bit Terror, Alpha, AJ 187, Beta, Buddha, Cedar J, choel aka jesus, dcom aka Prince of Persia aka cube aka Superdeluxe aka whatever, dirtster aka raggak, djbrayster, dude2003, Fiz, grap3fruitman, Gunner112k, Hivebrain, InsaneSonikkuFan, JohnnyUK, Nemesis, Nik, NGC, Overlord, Rika Chou, Sonic Hackr 2000, STC-Fan, Stoko, Tweaker, Ultima=P

aim: drx1337

+Quote Post
Overlord
post Jul 26 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #3

I love 1Mb/s DC++ Hubs, I really do

Group Icon

Member No.: 122

Mega Bomberman was a port? But that game owned so much...

And yeah, if anyone can get a music menu coded into it, I'd love the ability to get a clean GYM rip out of Mega Bomberman (MD)...

--------------------
Shadowsoft-Games.com

A new style.

From all over the UK and proud of it, bitches. =P

Mystifying MSN Chats!Overlord: Also, I've discovered something unsettling
Overlord: The Now Playing and Fucking Love/Hate sections on people's sigs
Overlord: Are faded/darked versions of colours
Overlord: Grey is dark white, and the other 2 can be lightened to be red and blue, as they are
NiktheGreek: Yup
Overlord: What flag uses the colour and layout of the setup?
Overlord: RUSSIA
Overlord: IT'S AN INVASION D:
NiktheGreek: XDDDDD

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Jul 26 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #4

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

Member No.: 140

QUOTE(Eric Wright @ Jul 26 2005, 06:26 AM)
For now, though, I was wondering if anyone would be able (and willing) to make a similar kind of "sound rips" rom for a few Genesis games... or perhaps, if anyone would have some help or ideas to offer as to how to go about it.

That reminds me a lot of this other topic (which has been automatically locked by now already).

Basically, I was suggesting to use that simple sound test menu in Sonic Crackers (which allows values from 00 to FF) and change the sound engine and music data pointers to the locations where you'd put those from the game you want.

In case this was as easy as it sounded, it would be something like this:

-First you'd have an incomplete ROM with the needed header and the code from the Sonic Crackers sound test (or just the whole Sonic Crackers ROM).
-Then, after locating and decompressing the sound engine from the game you want, you'd add it to the end of that ROM and change the sound engine pointers so they use it instead of the Crackers engine.
-After locating the BGM and SFX data, you'd add it at the end of the ROM you got and change the needed pointers.
-Run the emulator, go to sound test, try all the possible values and hopefully find some unused stuff from the other games.

In case this would work, I don't thikn it would be too difficult to make a program that would do all this automatically.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eric Wright
post Jul 26 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

hmm, I guess I'll read up a little more...

QUOTE(drx)

Yes.

Mega Bomberman (even though its music sucks compared to Bman 94)
Road Rash 3
Sonic Spinball

thos are the only Genesis games I was thinking of... but if it IS possible, and if it wouldn't be to hard for SNES, there were a few SNES games I was thinking of too:

F-Zero
MegaMan 7
Rockman & Forte
Top Gear
Top Gear 2 (the Genesis version had a sound test, what gives? :( )

Overlord: Download Bomberman 94 for TG16 and play it.

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Jul 26 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #6

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

QUOTE(Eric Wright @ Jul 26 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE(drx)

Yes.

Mega Bomberman (even though its music sucks compared to Bman 94)
Road Rash 3
Sonic Spinball

-Kid Chameleon
-Quack Shot (since there's some missing tracks in the sound test)
-Garfield: Caught in the Act (they might have "hidden" some BGMs from the sound test after scrapping certain levels)

By the way Eric, didn't they just change the music from the first level? You can still listen to the original level 1 BGM in the ending music megamix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rika_chou
post Jul 26 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #7

^________^

Group Icon

Member No.: 257

Toejam and Earl would be nice. you know, if it's not to much trouble.

+Quote Post
LocalH
post Jul 27 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #8

You're a complete bastard and we all hate you

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 1,253

I still say that, if someone is going to rip the music out, that we need to develop a standalone file format, that can then be used with a generic outfit. Charles MacDonald was working on this a while back, but either he's abandoned it, or he's simply not released any more public information.

If one were to go down this route, I'd recommend a chunk-based format, with chunks of variable length. Basically, you'd have 68K and Z80 chunks, and each chunk would have a small header denoting the length of the data within the chunk, and the absolute 68k ROM or Z80 RAM offset where the chunk should be located. You could also have multiple 68k chunks, in case you have binary data that is not right next to each other. I would imagine you'd need only one Z80 chunk, since RAM is limited to 2KB (banking of course references the 68k ROM). I would also recommend that all unused addresses be presented as $00 or $FF, and that all 68K and Z80 RAM is zeroed out before loading the chunks. This way, you could have a simple converter program that analyzed the ROM space used by the music driver, chose a suitable place in ROM for the outfit, create an ASM file with the proper values inserted (title, composer, copyright, init and play addresses, etc). Also, I recommend assuming one init call at the beginning and then one play call per frame - for music drivers that don't follow this, glue code can be written to present it as such.

--------------------
Q: What does a man with a two foot cock have for breakfast?
A: This morning I had a boiled egg.

+Quote Post
Eric Wright
post Jul 27 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #9

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

rika: I believe TJ&E has a sound test

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST

+Quote Post
rika_chou
post Jul 27 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #10

^________^

Group Icon

Member No.: 257

That sound test is sorta random.....

+Quote Post
Overlord
post Jul 27 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #11

I love 1Mb/s DC++ Hubs, I really do

Group Icon

Member No.: 122

TJ&E 2 does, dunno about the first.

Regarding a replacement for GYM - yes, this is badly needed. It was invented on a whim by the coder of Genecyst who invited someone else to code up an actual player for it after the standard was given - and badly needs features like looping, for one.

Also, a tagging format for ADX would be nice =P

--------------------
Shadowsoft-Games.com

A new style.

From all over the UK and proud of it, bitches. =P

Mystifying MSN Chats!Overlord: Also, I've discovered something unsettling
Overlord: The Now Playing and Fucking Love/Hate sections on people's sigs
Overlord: Are faded/darked versions of colours
Overlord: Grey is dark white, and the other 2 can be lightened to be red and blue, as they are
NiktheGreek: Yup
Overlord: What flag uses the colour and layout of the setup?
Overlord: RUSSIA
Overlord: IT'S AN INVASION D:
NiktheGreek: XDDDDD

+Quote Post
LocalH
post Jul 27 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

GYM sucks because it's logged, simple as that. Logging is good when you don't have anything else, but in this day and time, when most consoles have ripped formats available, we have to make do with bulky logged files.

It's my belief that combined, the whole soundtracks of the mainstream Genesis Sonic games (S1, S2, S2proto, S3, S&K) in a ripped format will take up less hard drive space than even a single tune's GYM.

Unless it's widely used for something else, perhaps the file extension could be "GSF"? Genesis Sound File? MDS (Mega Drive Sound) wouldn't work because it's already used in CD burning applications.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dude
post Jul 27 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #13

TEN THOUSAND FISTS IN THE AIIIIIR

Group Icon

Member No.: 100

QUOTE(LocalH @ Jul 27 2005, 07:42 PM)
GYM sucks because it's logged, simple as that. Logging is good when you don't have anything else, but in this day and time, when most consoles have ripped formats available, we have to make do with bulky logged files.

It's my belief that combined, the whole soundtracks of the mainstream Genesis Sonic games (S1, S2, S2proto, S3, S&K) in a ripped format will take up less hard drive space than even a single tune's GYM.

Unless it's widely used for something else, perhaps the file extension could be "GSF"? Genesis Sound File? MDS (Mega Drive Sound) wouldn't work because it's already used in CD burning applications.

MegaSoundFile

*.MSF

?

--------------------
IPB Image

"Ricans do what Mexican't" - Dude

+Quote Post
Chazman
post Jul 27 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #14

Opposing the establishment since 2001

Group Icon

Group: SCARZ's Bitch
Member No.: 16

Just create a format that does one of two things:

1) Rips straight to MIDI. The synthesizer chip in the Genesis is a MIDI chip. I'm sure the Z80 PSG emulation is the same way for compatibility sake. The output MIDI would have 9 channels for Genesis games and 13 for 32X games. Map it like so:

MIDI 1 - FM 1
MIDI 2 - FM 2
MIDI 3 - FM 3
MIDI 4 - FM 4
MIDI 5 - FM 5
MIDI 6 - PSG 1
MIDI 7 - PSG 2
MIDI 8 - PSG 3
MIDI 10 - PSG 4 and FM 6

The ripper would map MIDI channels 1-5 to Piano 1 (Bank 0, Patch 0) because the ripper would not be able to tell if an FM patch is a guitar or a bass or so on. Then the user could run a simple MIDI program and remap those channels. MIDI channels 6 - 8 could be mapped to Square Wave (Bank 0, Patch 80) since that's all those PSG channels could possibly be. MIDI 10 is the drum track. The sounds from PSG 4 could be mapped to the high hats or crash cymbals in the drum kits based on the event length from the PSG. The FM Channel 6 is used as a DAC in 99% of all Genesis games, so just go ahead and map it to the drum channel. Each unique sound played from the DAC could just be mapped to an unused arbitrary key, such as the kick in Sonic 2 being mapped to C3, the snare to C#3, the bongo to D3, etc and allow the user to remap the sounds.

2)The ripper could simply rip a pseudo-mod file. The ripper would rip out the PCM samples normally sent to FM Channel 6 and map those in a MOD style format to a channel. The rest of the data could contain just notes and patch data. The MODs would then be played back on a player that reads the data and plays by emulating the synthesizer hardware. The emulation engine could be the FM/PSG/PWM (in case of 32X) code from Fusion or something that has been incorporated into a player.

END BABBLING

--------------------
Sieg Heil. May great health bestow itself on our all knowing leader, George Bush

re-pub-li-can (n) - 1) A wealthy advocate of crony capitalism and supporter
of a totalitarian state benefiting the elite. 2) An inbred redneck or member of a
family with a history of inbreeding that typically falls for any false propaganda
claiming gun rights and lower taxes.

I think this suits George Bush better than Hail to the Chief. There's three meanings to the song. PM me if you think you can guess the three meanings. Hint: Two are fairly obvious (to gamers) and the third will take an astounding amount of digging.

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Jul 28 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #15

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

QUOTE(Dude @ Jul 27 2005, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE(LocalH @ Jul 27 2005, 07:42 PM)

MegaSoundFile

*.MSF

*.MDM (Mega Drive Music)?
*.SSD (SEGA Sound Data)? We still don't know if this could be applied to SMS and GG games as well...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ICEknight
post Jul 28 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #16

MASTER EMERALD

Group Icon

QUOTE(Chazman @ Jul 27 2005, 10:49 PM)
Just create a format that does one of two things:

1) Rips straight to MIDI. [...] The ripper would map MIDI channels [...]

2)The ripper could simply rip a pseudo-mod file. The ripper would rip out the PCM samples[...]

Ripper? I don't think any program would be able to locate the games' sound drivers, PCM samples and sound data on its own, considering that they usually don't share engines and these can be even compressed.

Also, I don't think that MIDI stuff would be of any help in what we're trying to achieve...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tweaker
post Jul 28 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #17

Untouchable.

Group Icon

Member No.: 9,059

I have the sound format completely planned out. It's all about coding a player for it.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
LocalH
post Jul 28 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Specs please? If people can begin making test rips and putting it in the correct format, then there would be files available for testing with the player.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Djbrayster
post Jul 28 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #19

Dynamite Hero of the Day!

Group Icon

Member No.: 75

Ask Drx! he helped me out with Ristar by making a completely new sound test that had the sfx too! (reference to one of OL's posts about making soundtests in games for clean GYM rips etc)

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
user posted imageHentai!user posted image

+Quote Post
RattleMan
post Jul 28 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #20

Denial Ain't A River in Egypt. 7 Chaos Emerald + 2 Super!

Group Icon

Member No.: 218

Yes, a new replacement for GYM would be a great idea. I'd go with MSF...

Here might be a good link: http://www.halleyscometsoftware.com/usf/

You might also like to check this out, inwhich I proposed an MSF file format earlier: http://www.halleyscometsoftware.com/mboard...p?showthread=39 .

--------------------
Most Frequented Places:
[Sonic CulT] [SCARZ]
[SClassic] [SailorMusic]
[ZeldaCo] [SoaH] [SMU]
[SWS2B] [ZD] [DaizEX]
[Rattle's Web Spot]

> RattleMan's LiveJournal <
RattleMan's Super Enhanced SCARZ Signature 3.6.566
Thanks to Delta & Sazpaimon for Sig Help
~ March 29th, 2005 ~

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:56 PM