> Resource Ripping - Let's crack some formats, and show what you have done
Cryomancer
post Oct 14 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #1

fine fuckers it's back

Group Icon

Group: Broadcaster
Member No.: 153

Alright, in the past I have messed around with a few games attempting to get models / textures / etc out of them. I'll post what I've actually accomplished with examples and what I used to do it. Please to be posting your own as well, and maybe we can collaborate and bust open a bunch more games.

First, a quick and simple one, Sonic Jam for US saturn. You can get the art gallery images out by using a japanese art program called Susie, and giving it this plugin, which will let it read saturn .dg2 files. The art gallery is in .dg2 format, and should be simple to find on the disc.

Sample:
IPB Image

Next up is one I had massive trouble with but eventually managed to get help from people who actually knew what they were doing, and thus managed to make some progress. The game is Godannar for ps2, a 3-d mecha fighter based on an anime.

It's been ages since I messed with this so I'll jsut post what I can vageuly remember. The basic files were all stored in big AFS files, which you can open with AFSexplorer, google it. Inside those were PAC files (if I remember correctly), which can be taken care of with this tool sanik made for me calledPAC2DIR which will extract the pacs into directories. Often there are pacs within pacs.

I'm going to come abck to this process alter after I make myself pull out the disc and go through it and document it again, but here's the other tools that were also involed, made by a guy calling himself ShinjiIkari, delzs-godannar and tim2tga. The textures ended up being inside the delzs's and the came out as ps2 tm2's, but were not standard. The delzs's have been seen in other games (he originally made a tool for getting music from wildarms i think it was), and the tool is set up for this specific instance of the format (unless there are others, it's possible). Eventually you'll get tga textures.

Samples:
IPB Image weird unused? art
IPB Image human body texture
IPB Image human face texture

unfortunetly my ultimate goal of getting the models has yet to happen as i know dick about 3d. the plan was to attempt to make the characters from the game playable UT models. if anyone with the skills wants to work with me to give UT players the ability to play as a group of robots, big-tittied women, and big-tittied women in gym uniforms on little robots let me know.

I've also started into getting the art gallery from sonic gems, using some DC format tools I googled up...but only got a layer or two into the files packaging system. if anyone can suggest me some good tools for that let me know.

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SH2000
post Oct 26 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #2

I am your Mario

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

This needs some more attention

--------------------
sdfsd
sd
fsdf
sdf
saddssd

+Quote Post
Cryomancer
post Nov 3 2005, 02:43 AM
Post #3

fine fuckers it's back

Group Icon

Group: Broadcaster
Member No.: 153

I've begun to make txt based filetrees for games i have lying around. So far all I've done are pirate ps2 games, and this is only like, a half of what i have at best, just was too lazy to do them all at the same time. the point to this being that we can find out what file extenstions are common, and thus target format busting for most effect.

if anyone would like to contribute these, find a program that generates txt with filetrees. i've been using filetree printer, but make sure you crack it right or else it'll only read out 10 files. it would be bitchin if people could contibute stuff from legal games they have, but a lot of those won't read in a drive anyway (ie dreamcast). however if you're gonna do pirate ones make sure they're decent rips and burned properly and shit for accuracy's sake.

http://kevlargibs.net/cryomancer/filetree%20texts/ for what i've done thus far, new stuff will show up here as i do it.

i've also noticed that a few ps2 games are hiding data from my drive. mostly dvd games, but one was a cd. the cd one was pal, the dvds were us and jp, so it must be something that can happen on any form. if anyone knows what the deal with this is please to be letting me know. if it's hiding data, it usually only shows a few megs of files, yet it's obviously taking up more space. i found the pal cd one when i was trying to convert it to burn for dvd, isobuster only found a few small files, and it was far under the game's real size, and the burn booted to black and did nothing...however when i burned it to cd normally it worked, so it's still burning the hidden data.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SSUK
post Nov 5 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #4

SSUK-Kol. Your favorite comunist-run city. =D

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 9,075

I have loads more plug ins for Susie somewhere, I'll dig out the folder and get back to you on it.

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm a place in North Korea. (Note my country... =P)

+Quote Post

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 10:41 AM