SCARZIP (SCARZ Information Pane)
Sonic Stadium
Green Hill Zone

THE 10 CULTMANDMENTS | THE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO POSTING AT SCARZ
Sonic Online
Sonic Dimension

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> -copying- Saturn games, not burning images., Saturn Piracy continued?
Eric Wright
post May 29 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

Group: CulT Family
Member No.: 760

Alright, well rather than giving an explanation of what to do correctly; I will post about my trials and then propose a question in hopes that someone else can help.

First of all...i've been going through and backing up all my Saturn games. I initially started doing this abotu 2 years ago... back then I was using 650meg TDK discs and burning at 2x (because apparently you're not supposed to push Saturn burns past 4x) on a friend's computer. All the copies I had made back then loaded fine, and had no CDDA or Saturn video problems to boot. My mod chip worked like a dream. Then at one point during a school party, I went to play Daytona USA CCE, and the modchip crapped out. My backup process stopped until about a year ago when I got another modchip for my beloved Saturn. Later in the year, my gf got a new computer. It had a CD-R drive in it, so I started making more backups of all my games. This time I was using Maxell brand 650 meg discs...but her computer refused to burn at anything slower than 4X...and even THAT took some finegling to get the setting to become available. So I had backed up a few more of my games, and they all worked fine.

Flash forward to the past few days. I decide to finish copying the second half of all my Saturn games. All day Thursday I spent backing up my games.. 1 disc at a time, 4x speed, 10-17 minutes a shot...all on the leftover Maxell 650's. Then Friday, same routine...except halfway through, I ran out of the 650's. I thought nothing of it, and just started using the Maxell 700's I had bought last week. Well what do you know...after I finish the last 15 games or so, I find out that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS EITHER CD AUDIO PROBLEMS OR VIDEO PROBLEMS!!!! WTF?!?! I was LIVID. I spent the evening yesterday with my gf, driving all over town, looking for some place that had 650 meg cdrs... NOBODY HAD THEM. I wound up buying these Memorex 700 meg cdrs; Memorex touted them as "All Use; Music, Games, Data"...so I thought they might be pretty good (plus they were black, so they looked cool too). Gave em a go, and they seemed to work pretty well! Until I get toward the last few games I had to copy... Virtua Fighter Remix has CD Audio problems...it took me FOREVER to get TWO good copies of Wipeout XL (one for me, one for a friend) because the audio and the video would both skip and fuck up... I've just gone through THREE of them to copy the FIRST Wipeout, same problems with this game too (and it isn't the game, because Wipeout was one of the ones I copied 2 years ago; and while that cdr is a little scratched, it still works FINE...so I'm thinking it's these CD's)..I went through 3 of these black cds on Worms too...

I'm trying Wipeout again on a different type of disc, a typical Sony 700 one... the first try on it didn't work... now I'm gonna see if changing from Disc-as-once96 (which I had been using since thursday) to just plain Disc-at-once and seeing if that makes a difference... *testing game now* WOO HOO!! It worked... I'm not gonna keep my hopes up though, because I still have to make a handful of other copies.

Anyway, so that's sort of the plight I've been going through right now. My question, though, is is there anythig else I can do to ensure the best possible COPY of a Saturn game? I've already come to the conclusion that a 650 CD is best, but since it looks like companies have phased those out, I'll have to settle with 700's. Is there anything else I am not taking into account? I mean, hell, even her CD drive might be crapping out and I don't know it.

I guess I'll wait to see what anyone has to say...

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST
You want it? Here's a torrent: CLICK HERE
Encoded using LAME 3.96.1, -q1 --preset extreme
I will be seeding for as long as I have this posted in my signature.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superstarCB
post May 29 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Just two kids in love...

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 1,537

I had fun reading your post other than the fact that it has really nothing to do with NiGHTS. And sorry, I don't have a solution to your little problem.

This post has been edited by superstarCB: May 29 2004, 06:08 PM

--------------------
superstarEMU - It's alive once again! Got the basic layout down and much more content to come! (Last Updated: 6/30/05)

+Quote Post
NegaC
post May 29 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Out of Exile

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member DX
Member No.: 386

Yeah, why is this in the NiGHTS forums? Anyway, it's annoying how they hardly (if at all) produce 650mb CD's now. I needed some of them a while back, but I never did get them. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough... ?

This post has been edited by NegaC: May 29 2004, 06:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eric Wright
post May 29 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

I think the last resort would be just ordering them; and this was posted in the NiGHTS forum because I was under the impression it was also Saturn focus...y'know, considering there's already been another thread in this forum about "Saturn piracy".

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST

+Quote Post
Borisz
post Jun 1 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #5

I AM THE MASKED MENACE

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 119

TDK Reflex cdrs work for everything here. I haven't tried saturn discs tho, so they might not work with those, but its the best overall brand of CDRs I know about. Give em a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zel
post Jun 6 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,375

I've had no problems with my Saturn reading them when burning them at 8x. My problem is games such as Daytona CCE and MMX3 requiring 875+ megs of disk space. It's like HTF did the make them in the first place.

BTW: I use Audio CDs they work just as good and I can get 20 for $10 at the dollor store. :P

This post has been edited by Zel: Jun 6 2004, 11:16 PM

+Quote Post
Eric Wright
post Jun 7 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #7

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

QUOTE(Zel @ Jun 6 2004, 08:15 PM)
I've had no problems with my Saturn reading them when  burning them at 8x.  My problem is games such as Daytona CCE and MMX3  requiring 875+ megs of disk space. It's like HTF did the make them in the first place.

BTW: I use Audio CDs they work just as good and I can get 20 for $10 at the dollor store. :P

I usually get a spindle of 50 for ten bucks or less whenever we have a sale on them at Staples... I managed to score about 40 more of the GOOD Maxell 650's from someone (since you can't buy them anymore) and I guess I'll just have to use them sparingly.

I'm a little confused about a couple things you said, not only you had no problem with them at 8x, but also Daytona CCE was over 875 megs o.O When I copied CCE, it fit FINE on a 650 o.O Do you have the NetLink version of CCE?...even then, I don't think it would push it that far. The SuperAdventure Rockman discs (3) are all under 650 megs too, even despite how much data is on them...

And the reason you're supposed to copy them at 2x or 4x is because the video gets choppy... about 2 years ago, I copied some games at 8x...the music was fine, but video would always freeze my saturn 'cause it skipped and shit. Either you just got wicked lucky, or your CDR drive isn't sloppy when burning at faster speeds.

I'll give audio CDs a try sometime, but not until I run out of these 650's :P

PS: if you have a game SMALLER than 210 megs, grab some mini cds... not only is it not a waste of space (by using a normal cd on such a tiny game), but it looks cool too XD

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST

+Quote Post
Zel
post Jun 7 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Really? I have no problem with choppy vids at 8x,

As for you second question, I had someone else dump the original CDs for CCE/MMX3 for me as I don't have them, I recieved them as ISO+Mp3.

All the ones I copied using bin & cue as the intermediate format could easily fit on mini CDs, Burning Rangers and Mega Man 8 could fit on the same CD if I knew how to make it work like that.
Edit: Its a 2001 Dell System, with a proprietary CD-Rom drive.

This post has been edited by Zel: Jun 7 2004, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
Eric Wright
post Jun 7 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Here we goooo!!!

Group Icon

QUOTE(Zel @ Jun 7 2004, 02:39 PM)
Really? I have no problem with choppy vids at 8x,

As for you second question, I had someone else dump the original CDs for CCE/MMX3 for me as I don't  have them, I recieved them as ISO+Mp3.

All the ones I copied using bin & cue as the intermediate format  could easily fit on mini CDs, Burning Rangers and Mega Man 8 could fit on the same CD if I knew how to make it work like that.
Edit: Its a 2001 Dell System, with a proprietary CD-Rom drive.

How can they fit on mini cds? When I wsa copying MegaMan 8, its size was like 400 megs or something...

--------------------
IPB Image
F-Zero Arranged OST

+Quote Post
Zel
post Jun 8 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

MM8 was only 200 MB and some change when I copied it. :Shrugs:
Burining Rangers was only 190 or so.

This post has been edited by Zel: Jun 8 2004, 06:31 AM

+Quote Post
Borisz
post Jun 9 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #11

I AM THE MASKED MENACE

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 119

if you rip it in a bin/cue or other raw format cd image, it might be around 800 megs. But when you burn it, it will fit on a regular disc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zel
post Jun 10 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Wtf are you usig to burn with? Nero makes the burn at whatever size the image is.

+Quote Post
Catweed
post Jun 11 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 469

Just to say that, some time ago, I burned iso/mp3 of Virtua Cop 2 and Pandemonium I had downloaded on TDK 'Metallic' 700mb CDs at 16x and it worked just fine...

--------------------

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 01:41 AM