Edge_x
post May 6 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #21

wtfff

Group Icon

Group: CulT Member
Member No.: 83

Boredom caused me to write an overview:

It had been almost a year since the release of the Sega Saturn, and Sonic Team had yet to release a game of any kind for the system. For their next project, many fans expected the group to develop a game that would continue the tried-and-true Sonic the Hedgehog series, but rather than doing the logical, Sonic Team decided to create an entirely new game. Yuji Naka always wanted to develop a game based on flying, and he was certain the Saturn could handle such a project. Naoto Ohshima, the team's art designer, began work on the main character's design. After many scrapped ideas and drawings, the character was complete: a purple, gender-confused acrobat by the name of NiGHTS.

"NiGHTS Into Dreams...", as the title would eventually be called, exceeded expectations in all areas of gameplay. You expectedly played as NiGHTS through eight amazing levels, which were the dreams of two children, Claris and Elliot. Each dream was separated into four different routes, known as "mares." Within each mare, the objective was simple: fly through the track, whilst collecting blue orbs and delivering them to "Ideya capsules." Large rings, stars, and many other objects were scattered throughout each level, and when collected, the player's overall score would increase. By collecting objects in fast motion, the player could start a "link" chain, which would multiply the score. Of course, there was a time limit for each stage, which made collecting orbs and racking up points more exciting. Upon completing a dream, a boss battle would ensue. These battles proved to be just as entertaining as the levels, as each boss was extremely unique and required innovative strategies to defeat. When the dream concluded, the player would be given a ranking (A-F), based on the score achieved and the time it took to defeat the boss. The fact that the ranking system was implemented only increased the vast replayability of the game.

The game's graphics were truly amazing. Everything, from the levels to the character models, were beautifully detailed. Sonic Team wanted the players to feel as if they were actually living the dreams NiGHTS portrayed, and they definitely succeeded in doing so.

NiGHTS was created solely to rival other top-notch games; namely, Super Mario 64. Unfortunately, the Saturn's lackluster sales caused many gamers to overlook this masterpiece. Those who did experience NiGHTS, however, can easily agree it remains one of the best, if not THE best, game for the Sega Saturn.

This post has been edited by Edge_x: May 6 2004, 06:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JessicaPadkin
post May 6 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #22

Winner of the Mobius Prize for Absolutely Everything

Group Icon

Member No.: 786

Edge_X, Shining Wisdom wasn't by Sonic Team. It was by Team Sonic, a completely different group.

... I think you'd be forgiven for making that mistake, though. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Edge_x
post May 6 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #23

wtfff

Group Icon

Member No.: 83

QUOTE(JessicaPadkin @ May 6 2004, 06:41 PM)
Edge_X, Shining Wisdom wasn't by Sonic Team. It was by Team Sonic, a completely different group.

... I think you'd be forgiven for making that mistake, though.  biggrin.gif

Ah, damn, I'll fix that. Thanks. =p

+Quote Post
HXC
post Jul 3 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #24

Xtreme Researcher

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,899

I can probably scan the JPN Xmas NiGHTS manual, seeing as I got it sealed for £5

--------------------
user posted image
PNSIELOCCK?

+Quote Post

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
2 Pages V  < 1 2
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 01:40 AM